If you are thinking of getting a better home theater for your home, it is time you invested in the best in-wall speakers. An in-wall speaker is designed to mount inside the wall easily: They come with a rubber surround that prevents bass vibrations when playing your music or movie.
If your living space is small, it could be best for you to invest in in-wall speakers to save the space you would have otherwise used with floor-standing speakers. They come in small sizes, are easy to install, and also come at affordable prices.
In this article, we share the five best in-wall speakers you can choose from as well as some tips to guide you when buying.
1. Micca M-8S 8 Inch 2-Way In-Wall Speaker
- 2-way in-wall speaker with a high excursion 8" poly woofer and a 1" soft dome tweeter
- Perfect integration between the tweeter and woofer is achieved through a 12dB...
- Smooth and natural sound signature with robust bass output for impactful listening...
- Designed for optimal performance in a wide variety of home entertainment applications
- Easy to install and can be painted to blend into any décor
Your best in-wall speaker comes from Micca; it is a 2-wall speaker that comes with an 8-inch high-excursion woofer plus a 1-inch soft-dome tweeter. The design allows this speaker to cope with a wide-range frequency response to produce the best high-quality sound.
While the woofer offers high bass output, the soft dome comes in a pivoting design, so you can adjust the position until you find the sweet spot. The in-wall speaker comes with a 12dB crossover network so it can produce balanced sound d throughout your home.
In addition, the speaker comes with an included template to guide you when cutting the wall, and it also comes with a mounting pad. While you can find the speaker in different styles to complement your home, you should only install it on drywall. If you are new to this kind of installation, it will help to use a stud finder to get a safe space in the wall.
2. Polk Audio RC85i 2-way In-Wall 8" Speakers
- HEAR SEAMLESS AUDIO QUALITY AND POLK'S EXCELLENT SOUND REPRODUCTION with these...
- Pair with our RTI Series speakers for seamless imaging or ADD TO YOUR EXISTING HOME...
- EXPERIENCE MORE BALANCED & LIFELIKE SOUND – Features an 8” dynamic-balance woofer...
- THE RUBBER SEAL DRIVES better response and PREVENTS MOISTURE ACCESS, a key feature...
- OUT OF THE BOX & RECESSED INTO THE WALL - no mess, no extra assembly - in 3 simple...
Like the Micca in-all speaker, this Polk Audio speaker is a 2-way class model you will love for your home or office. It is a pair of in-wall speakers, and each speaker comes with an 8" dynamic-balance woofer plus a one-inch tweeter which comes in a swivel design for better positioning.
The mineral-filled polymer cone sits on a rubber surround for the dynamic sound balance once you start playing. In addition, the rubber seal also prevents the speaker from moisture, so you can even install the speakers in the bathroom, sauna, or kitchen.
The pair of speakers are easy to install and comes with rotational clamps for an easier installation process. They are affordable, and you can also spray paint the virtual enclosure to match your house theme.
3. Yamaha NS-IW760 6.5" 3-Way In-Wall Speaker
- Perfect for left/center/right channels
- 130 watts maximum power input
- 6 to 1/2 inches Cone woofer x 2
- Frequency response 50Hz to 24, 000Hz
- Sensitivity: 88Db
You have many reasons to love this in-wall speaker from Yamaha, but none better than the sound quality you can expect. Unlike the Micca and Polk Audio in-wall speakers, this model comes with two six-and-a-half-inch directional woofers sat above and below a one-inch tweeter for the best surround sound system.
In addition, the speakers outperform most models since they work with 130-watt maximum power input. The speaker is ideal for clear and balanced sounds, thus one of the best in-wall speakers for your home or office.
They offer a frequency response of 50Hz to 24, 000Hz with a sensitivity of 88Db. When you buy the Yamaha NS-IW760 in-wall speaker, it will come with a cardboard template that will guide you when cutting the wall. Also, it comes with a frame that you can easily paint to complement your decor.
4. Klipsch R-5502-W II In-Wall Speaker
- 1” (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to pivoting 90° x 90°...
- Dual 5.25” Cerametallic cone woofers
- Perfect for left, center or right channel use
- Easily mounts horizontally or vertically
- Horn-loaded technology increases acoustic output while significantly reducing...
Like the Yamaha in-wall speaker, this Klipsch R 5502 W II model is a 3-way class unit coming with 5.25-inch cone woofers plus a 90 x 90° square Tractrix Horn and a one-inch titanium diaphragm compression driver.
The Tractrix Horn technology is ideal for producing a larger acoustic output, thus decreasing sound distortion for the best home theater experience. The low-profile speaker is best for left, center, or right channel use.
The speaker is easy to install, with grills that attach magnetically. You can paint over the grills for better home decor while you enjoy high-definition surround sound quality.
The one possible deal-breaker with this in-wall speaker is the price; it is much pricier than other options on this list. However, it also comes with better features and more advanced technology and components.
5. Bose Virtually Invisible 891 In-Wall, In-Ceiling Speakers
- Product 1: The best Bose in-wall speaker has one 7" woofer and two strategically...
- Product 1: High-quality, full-range performance that most other installed speakers...
- Product 1: Exclusive Stereo Everywhere speaker performance covers the room with...
- Product 1: A near-bezel-less construction blends elegantly into the room's design;...
- Product 2: This quality Bose in ceiling speaker has one 5 inch woofer and two...
If you are looking for speakers you can install in your ceilings or walls, look no further than these Bose Virtually Invisible pairs. The stereo speakers are sold in pairs, and each in-wall unit comes in a straightforward design, including a 7-inch woofer surrounded by two one-inch tweeters.
This unique design allows the speaker to disperse audio horizontally to reach further in the room compared to other speakers on this list. If you wonder about the quality, each speaker can handle 10 to 100 watts of power output.
The in-ceiling speaker comes with a 5-inch woofer and two 3/4 inch tweeters on either side for better horizontal audio dispersion.
Both in-wall and in-ceiling speakers come in a bezel-less construction that blends nicely with your room decor and theme. They are best for your sitting room's surround sound system as well as other entertainment areas.
Like the other speakers on this list, these Bose in-wall and in-ceiling speakers come with a cutout template to guide you when holes into your wall and ceilings. The installation process is very straightforward, coming with grills that mount the speakers with magnets.
How to Buy the Best In-Wall Speakers
When buying the best in-wall speaker, there are a few factors you need to consider, such as the installation process, the sound quality, and the speaker design. Let us discuss these most important factors so you won't need to struggle when buying.
a) Easy installation process
Your in-wall speakers need to be easy to install without needing to hire an expert. When buying any in-wall audio equipment, look for those that come with simplified mounting guidelines.
In addition, also look out for the wire connections; some will come with built-in wires, and others will come with naked connections, and you will need to connect the wires. For this step, it is best to arm yourself with basic knowledge about wired connections to ensure you get the best audio control once the installation is complete.
Also, make sure you understand how to drill the holes into your walls without compromising the integrity of your whole structure. Most in-wall speakers come with cardboard templates so you can stencil over them for the hole size you need.
If the speakers you get do not come with this cardboard guide, finding a qualified professional to cut the holes for you would be best. In addition, use a stud finder to find a space in your wall, so you don't damage other structures such as pipes and electrical wirings.
b) Audio quality
Once you have found a good spot to install potential in-wall speakers, it would be best to make sure you get the best speakers for the highest audio quality.
It is best to get a 2-way or 3-way speaker because it fully supplements the center channel speaker for crisp and balanced sound. In addition, these types of in-wall speakers work well with dedicated sub-woofers.
Additionally, it is best to get these surround speakers from the same brand to guarantee the best voice matching properties. It is vital because different brands use different tonal qualities, and using different brands can alter the sound consistency.
c) Size and design
The in-wall speakers come in different sizes and designs so that you can pick the most appropriate for your walls.
If you live in a small apartment or are installing the speakers in your office, you need to look for the most compact in-wall speakers, preferably a design that takes minimum space in the wall. The speakers can come with two woofers and a tweeter, while a few options will also come with a single woofer and two tweeters on each side.
In-wall speakers come with cone-shaped low-frequency woofers that can measure anywhere between five to eight inches. Additionally, the tweeters also come in different sizes, from 0.5 to one inch.
When buying, look for the perfect rectangular size for your room so you can install them for rear surround or front surround while supplementing the center speaker.
How to Install In-Wall Speakers
When you buy your best in-wall speakers, you also need to understand the installation process. Here are some of the tools you will need to install your high-end speakers successfully.
- A carpenter's stencil to mark the speaker hole before cutting. Your in-wall speakers will come with a cardboard guide so you can stencil the hole dimensions with the carpenter's stencil.
- A drill. You can use it to make the pilot hole to use the drywall cutter, and make any extra holes for cables.
- A drywall cutter to easily cut the hole in your wall.
- A screwdriver multi-tool. It is best to have a multi-tool with different screw heads to be sure you can find the right screwdriver for tightening the speakers in place.
- A spirit level to ensure your speaker is level before screwing it in.
Frequently Asked Questions About In-Wall Speakers
a) What are they?
An in-wall speaker is a speaker designed with minimal components to be installed inside a space in your wall. It is your best speaker option if you do not have a lot of space to use floor-standing speakers.
However, the speakers may not offer the best bass response due to the small sizes, but you can also use them with a dedicated subwoofer to improve the quality.
b) Do the speakers sound good?
In-wall speakers are good since they save space and produce good-quality audio for the best entertainment.
You can install your speakers in different set-ups to get the best results; you can install them in a cinema set-up for stereo surround. In this set-up, you would need to strategically place the speakers in different areas of your walls, i.e., behind the seats and on the side walls.
c) Are they better than ceiling speakers and floor-standing speakers?
In-wall speakers work as well as the ceiling speakers, both requiring less space compared to the floor sanding speakers. The in-wall and ceiling speakers are also very affordable and come in smaller sizes.
However, while floor-standing speakers are bulkier and more expensive, they can offer better sound quality and require no exhaustive installation.