Pop filters do as their name suggests - pop sounds are diminished or omitted.
Certain letters appear to allow the mouth and breath to create fast-moving air in normal speech. Usually, these plosives derive from the letters P, T and K.
When putting your hand in front of your mouth, try to utter the word 'podcast' or 'pop filter' - you can feel the air.
This air can overtake a microphone quickly and cause distortion and clipping.
We sure do not want that...
So let's look at some of the best pop filters we will use in 2021 while recording vocals...
Best Top 6 Pop Filters
1) Stedman Corporation Proscreen XL
- Screen diameter: 6"
- Length: 26.5"
- Weight: 10 oz.
- Clamp range: .39"
- Signal levels can be maximized without the risk of clipping caused by bursts...
The Stedman Company Proscreen XL is only for you if you want a pro-level pop blocker.
Instead of diffusing it like the other versions listed here, they have a proprietary system to funnel air away from the microphone capsule downwards.
This 6-inch metal screen works very well, the gooseneck is robust, and the install is perfect.
2) Auphonix 6 Inch Pop Filter
- LET THEM HEAR YOUR MESSAGE...NOT YOUR MISTAKES: Don’t lose gusto focusing on...
- WHY MESH INSTEAD of METAL? – ULTRA STURDY polyester mesh allows all those high...
- ACTUALLY MAKES YOU SOUND GOOD - WON’T STIFLE YOUR VOICE, MASK YOUR INFLECTION or...
- LETS VOICE THRU, KEEPS BURSTS OUT – THIS ISN’T YOUR DIY mesh pop filter....
- IT WORKS, IT FITS & IT’S EASY TO USE - Auphonix 6” microphone mask QUICKLY clamps...
This 6 inch pop filter from Auphonix is very popular and highly rated.
It has a double screen, which makes its air stopping performance excellent, but does not block your voice.
3) Blue The Pop
- For use with any microphone
- Helps to reduce or eliminate popping sounds when fast moving air hits the microphone
- Easily clamps to mic stand for ideal positioning
- Blue (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
As well as high quality microphone attachments, Blue makes excellent microphones (like the iconic Blue Yeti).
Check out our suggested accessories for the Blue Yeti.
With a solid gooseneck and clamp, Blue's The Pop is made of all metal. Out there, it's not the lightest pop filter, but it fits well and looks fine.
4) WindTech PopGard 2000
- Stops "plosive" sounds
- Attaches in seconds and moves with the microphone
- Easy to clean surface and Lightweight - weighs less than 1 ounce
- Acoustically Transparent and Hydrophobic to help stop moisture
- Fits microphones from 46 to 68mm
The WindTech PopGard 2000 is a decent option if you're using a microphone with a larger diameter.
It's quick to attach and detach, and curves around the microphone from all directions to block air.
One of the only set-backs is that the distance from the microphone can't be changed. It also does not suit microphones that are smaller in diameter.
5) Nady MPF-6
- Top rated Professional Pop filter for vocal microphones
- Multi-positional windscreen for optimum performance
- Stops plosives and protects your mic
- Includes boom and microphone stand clamp
- Swivel mount for easy positioning, plus extra long and flexible gooseneck holder
One of the most available solutions out there, potentially, is the Nady MPF-6 pop filter. For almost the same amount, you can have it with or without a stabilizing arm.
You can mount it up to 1 inch in diameter on a boom arm, mic stand, or pretty much something else. The gooseneck itself is 13 inches in thickness.
For podcasting, studio recording, or live action, this is an excellent choice at a reasonable price.
6) Avantone PS-1 PRO-SHIELD
- The AVANTONE PRO-SHIELD is the finest studio pop filter in the world!
- The PRO-SHIELD allows close work on a mic to capture a more intimate / full sound...
- The specially designed curved surface naturally follows the grill shape of studio...
- The PRO-SHIELD is constructed with an acoustically transparent metal screen that...
- Sturdy ALL METAL Construction. 5-Year Warranty!
And another all-metal pop filter is the Avantone PS-1 PRO-SHIELD.The filter easily mounts to boom poles and desktop mic stands, easily cleans and stops those "P" noises in their tracks.
It also doesn't reduce your high frequency audio quality like thicker windscreens do.