Here are some cheap soundproofing materials for anyone on a budget who wants an effective soundproofing project.
Since professional soundproofing can be quite expensive, there are some DIY hacks that you can implement to deal with unwanted noise in your home.
These DIY designs, however, require such soundproofing materials. You can be asked to pick cheaper alternatives if you are on a budget.
Cheap, though, in this situation, does not lead to unsuccessful or bad performance. Any of the best cheap soundproofing materials on the market today are given below.
Noise Reduction Materials that Work
I. Green Glue
- Sold in cases of 12 (29oz.) tubes per case.
- Each case comes with installation instructions (in English and Spanish) and data...
- Better results for low frequencies
- Item package weight: 27.2 pounds
Green glue on walls, roofs, or floors is a widely used soundproofing material. It is applied between drywall layers so that the sounds can be absorbed.
Green glue that you can find on the market includes soundproofing products, clips, sealants and tape. Green glue is environmentally friendly and harmless. Remember that, along with Green Glue Sealant, you can use Green Glue noise suppressant.
The sealant is usually used on soundproofing surfaces to seal holes and cracks. It is uncomfortable which creates invisible holes and cracks and is applied beneath the final coat such that it is covered.
The installation method of the compound is easy, and you can do it yourself. With a gun, you should add the green glue compound, spraying it all over the drywall. It does not matter how you apply the green glue, covering the entire surface is necessary.
II. Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV)
Mass loaded vinyl is mainly used for sound insulation of ceilings and walls. The material used to make the MLV has high density, so it can absorb noise.
It is mostly made from vinyl and another high-mass compound. Barium sulfate is widely used for the processing of MLV because it is non-toxic and has a high density.
Through its density, the effectiveness of the mass loaded vinyl roll rises. One good example of MLV is acoustic Soundlock bulk filled vinyl 1LB sound barrier rolls.
Its heaviness does not compromise on ease of installation. It can be used in cars, bathrooms, condos or apartments. It has none as it is made with extruded virgin material that is not recycled or regrown
III. Metal Elastic Channels.
- Decouples drywall layer from the supporting stud structure to reduce sound...
- Installation information provided
- Product is used to hang drywall instead of attaching to studs
- For best sound isolation, Auralex recommends incorporating the following products...
During building, resilient metal channels minimize the escape of sound from a room. Rather than fixing it to studs, they are used for hanging drywall. In order to minimize the amount of noise that goes through the walls, it thickens the drywall coating.
The Auralex RC8 Robust Channel is an exceptional tool for noise control during remodeling or building.
By using double layers of various drywall thicknesses with a layer of Auralex Sheet Blok in the centre, its efficiency can be improved. This greatly lowers noise generated through the ceilings or walls.
IV. Anti-vibration Pads
- Has a solid cross-ribbed design (3/8" thick)
- Made from high quality elastomeric materials
- Recommended maximum loading capacity: 50 lbs per square in
- Compounded for excellent resistance to aging, compression set & oil
Anti-vibration pads reduce noise from large machines and running equipment. They are placed underneath the equipment in use and provide a solid base, absorbing vibrations generated by the running equipment or machine.
V. Drywall Sound Clips
- 10 Clips for soundproofing
- The ultimate sound proofing solution. Extremely effective for impact sound isolation...
- Works well on framing with wood, steel framed, concrete, CMU, and other ceiling or...
- Fits locally available standard steel hat / furring channel 7/8" x 1.25" size
- Supports up to 36 pounds per clip. Strong enough for dual 5/8" drywall with 24" x 48"...
Sound clips are rods and hold the drywall and ceiling joists, creating a floating ceiling or wall. They are mainly used to soundproof walls and ceilings.
They create a space between the drywall where each side can vibrate, blocking sound waves.
VI. Ceiling Sound Clips
- 【BASIC INFO】 - Size: 16 x 12 x 0.5 Inches, pack of 6, covering 8 square feet;...
- 【OUTSTANDING ACOUSTIC PERFORMANCE】 - The sound dampening panels are dense and...
- 【ECO-FRIENDLY and SAFE INDOOR USE】 - The sound panels are Odorless, Non-toxic,...
- 【EASY CUT and INSTALLATION】 - The Sound insulation panels are easy to cut with a...
- 【NO-WORRY POLICY】 - If these acoustic tiles don't work for your case, just click...
Suspended sound baffles are made of acoustic fiberglass that absorbs sound. They resemble boards and hang from the ceiling. Sound baffles do a great job of absorbing sound, and you can use them in your soundproofing project.
They can work quite well in industrial environments because they absorb sound. When buying Hanging Baffling, consider choosing a special acoustic panel as it works well. ATS Acoustic Panel can be used both at home and in industrial environments as it is effective and also attractive.
It is a textured fabric that can complement auditoriums, living rooms and studios. The panel is durable and sturdy of a solid wood frame that helps protect against damage to the edges.
Choosing the one which accentuates your room comes in many colours.
VII. Sound insulation foams
- Great performance at a low cost
- Class B fire rating
- Smaller panels offer more options for placement and design
This is one of the easiest soundproofing choices. In the same way as standard insulation, sound insulation is added which maintains the temperature in a room which eliminates noise from leaving or entering a room.
When it comes to blocking noise, fibreglass foams are the best. Studiofoam from Auralex Acoustics is a wonderful quality and performs well when it comes to sound absorption.
Most fiberglass and foam insulation have soundproofing features, so you can easily find an option that meets your needs.
VIII. Soundproof Paint
- SOUND DEADENING SPRAY: Spectrum liquid sound dampening material is a high heat, water...
- CAR SOUND DEADENING & INSULATION: Used to dampen vibrations and stop thermal transfer...
- ADVANTAGES OF LIQUID SPRAY: Spray Spectrum into hard to reach places that sound...
- PAINT OR SPRAY ON SOUND DEADENING: Applied with a paint brush/roller or spray gun and...
- PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA
Soundproof paint is thicker than the normal wall paint because it is made sound absorbing fillers and ceramic microspheres.
In addition, the fillers have tiny vacuum-sealed cells with a soft pigment that vibrates sound waves and absorbs those that hit the wall. This reduces the amount of noise that enters your room through the walls.
You should use acoustic paint for better performance when the noise is too much. To boost its efficacy, try applying more than one coat.
IX. Panels that are soundproof
- MuteX is made in the USA and has an STC rating of 32.
- Compact & Lightweight at only 1/4" thick and 1/4 lb/sqft
- 2 Stage Sound Barrier using Polymute Resin + Carbonweave
- All Weather Tempature Range from -50°F degrees to 350°F
- Used in Automotive, Industrial, Commercial, Home Construction for HVAC, Walls,...
Soundproof panels are constructed of fabrics that absorb sound and kill noise. In addition, numerous soundproof panels are available, including perforated wood, wrapped panels and acoustic waterproof panels. They can be used to keep walls, floors or doors soundproof.
The Mutex soundproof material is an outstanding example of soundproof frames. This eliminates the propagation of noise across floors, ceilings and partitions, and can be used in a recording studio.
It is durable because they do not compress easily. They can also be used in industrial environments, automotive and home construction. The product is lightweight and compact, so its installation is simple.
X. Floor underlayment
- Provides deep, rich sound by absorbing noise instead of deflecting it
- Made from recycled fibers
- Extremely high temperature manufacturing process treats fibers
- 3mm thick pad corrects minor sub-floor imperfections
- IIC 67, STC 66 ? Rating 21
The acoustic insulation of a floor is the underlaying of the floor. They consume the noise coming from neighbours downstairs. Most underlayments are adhesive strips serving as sound absorbers on one side.
One of the best items on Amazon is Roberts Super Felt Underlayment. It has fibers which have been heat condensed and treated.
Final Thoughts on Cheap Soundproofing Materials
In summary, soundproofing your home does not have to be an expensive investment. Above are some of the cheapest soundproofing materials you can use for DIY projects.
Finally, you can choose the best one for your project application after analyzing the type of noise and other specific requirements for your home.